Brilliant Idea Books was launched in 2012 as a division of Seventh Avenue Literary Agency.
It was designed to fill the needs of entrepreneurs looking to build on their platform and add to their brand with a self-directed and self-published book that did not fall into the boundaries and rigid restrictions offered by traditional publishers.
Brilliant Idea Books puts our extensive experience, expertise and network of contacts to work for our self-publishing clients. We draw on a team of talented freelance writers, ghostwriters, editors, graphic artists, and production designers. Our award-winning writers cover all areas of non-fiction.
- Robert Mackwood is the Owner and President of Brilliant Idea Books. Robert brings over three decades of experience in the book publishing industry. He has been an executive with a multinational publishing company, sat on editorial boards, ran a multi-million dollar marketing division, and has operated his own literary agency and consulting firm for the past dozen years.Specifically he owns and operates Seventh Avenue Literary Agency and Mackwood Publishing Services and has spent 30 years in book publishing industry. He has worked for Raincoast Books in Vancouver and Bantam/Doubleday (now Random House Canada) in Toronto
Our key freelance team
We Make Books : Design & Productions Services
- Heidy Lawrance (Heidy Lawrance & Associates) who has been immersed for over 30 years in the publishing industry in marketing and production management and has, since 1988, run her own design and production house. Her talented team includes:
- Kim Monteforte , joined in 1989 as text designer and formatter and has since then exercised her creative talent in designing and formatting simple trade books to complex teacher’s guides.
- Cynthia Cake, employee of WeMakeBooks since 1997, creates eye catching texts for the school market, and is the resident Photoshop expert and creator of complex graphs.
- Beth Crane, since 1997, technical support and resident production coordinator, loves negotiating with printers “for the best terms”, and is adept at expertly formatting the simple to the most complex publications.
- Senior designer John Lee shares his award winning talent on cover designs from concept to the finished product.
Green Onion Publishing Editorial Services
- Catherine Leek is very experienced – her background includes working for one of Canada’s largest legal publishers and, since 2000, with her own firmworking with many self-published authors . She offers manuscript review, substantive editing, proofing, copy and style editing within complete project management. The client has approval at every stage of the process, but none of the details to worry about.
Who is Seventh Avenue Literary Agency?
When you work with Brilliant Idea Books, you get the benefit of Seventh Avenue Literary Agency (no other self-publishing consultancy can boast that).
- We have over 30 years of experience working with large multinational and smaller independent publishers in almost every capacity. Independently, we have covered the book market as literary agents and consultants.
- Our publishing contacts span the globe: Vancouver, Toronto, New York and the U.K.; international agents in China, Taiwan, Japan, Spain, UK, Brazil and many more with numerous projects sold.
- We offer our client projects for film documentary and broadcast television rights
- We have worked on sports books – for both teams and individuals; worked with fitness, health and nutrition authors, and many business and technology experts, gurus, CEO’s and entrepreneurs.
Our record of success
As one of Canada’s largest non-fiction literary agencies, are proud of the many achievements made on behalf of our clients:
- Over 150 original agented projects sold to trade publishers.
- Numerous projects on international bestseller lists.
- Rights sales made to over 15 countries.
- Television documentary rights sold (Gemini award winning).